Build green network
Insist on green procurement
The Company actively promotes the procurement of energy-saving and emission reduction equipment, and implements green and safe procurement in terms of equipment model selection; specifies clearly on energy consumption standards and energy-saving requirements for equipment, and takes energy consumption, energy-saving product certification and radiation indicator of equipment as important procurement indicators for evaluation; promotes centralised procurement of efficient and energy-saving equipment. In 2016, the Company completed group procurement of energy-saving air conditioning system with direct current system, efficient module and intelligent double-circulation, which will safeguard the implementation of subsequent energy-saving construction plan.
Energy-saving technology application
The Company runs existing network tests on three new energy-saving technologies, including 336V high voltage direct current system, high magnification discharge battery, and aluminum alloy cable. The “AC main power supply +336V high voltage direct current” power supply mode is used to verify the energy-saving effect of the new two-circuit power supply mode; high magnification discharge battery is used to verify the high current discharge performance of new battery and the effect of battery with low configuration; aluminum alloy cable is to verify the performance of new cable and evaluate its effects under environment and construction requirements, as well as the cost-saving effects for the investment.
Note: Currently the amounts of hazardous waste discharge, non-hazardous waste discharge and the total amount of packaging materials used in manufactured products have not been calculated and we will establish a statistical system for such data as soon as possible.
In order to solve issues such as enhanced integration of main equipment, ceaselessly increased single cabinet power and high energy consumption of traditional operation room, idea of constructing energy-saving machine room is proposed. From customisation, modularisation, zoning and other perspectives, this proposal achieved air distribution optimisation in machine room and modularisation construction of machine room, carrying out the research and standardisation of green mode construction of machine room and pushed forward main equipment standardisation, as well as completed the standards for the air distribution specifications and size of the main equipment.
Green data center
- Hohhot Data Center was awarded as advanced energy-saving technological innovation company in the telecom industry for two consecutive years;
- Langfang Data Center was awarded as advanced energy-saving technological innovation company in the telecom industry for two consecutive years; acquired AAAA grade certificate of data center green energy conservation demonstration project; and won the qualification of China green data center pilot unit which was jointly issued by MIIT, National Government Offices Administration and National Energy Administration;
- Gui’an Data Center was awarded the qualification of China green data center pilot unit.
Implement co-building and co-sharing
Actively fulfilling the requirements of the State to promote construction of ecological civilisation, the Company carefully implements the yearly guideline of MIIT and NDRC “Opinions on Implementation of Telecommunication Infrastructure Co-Building and Co-Sharing”, and deepens cooperation among enterprises in construction fields of pole line, pipeline and indoor distribution system, reducing repeated construction and strengthening resource sharing. In 2016, the Company cooperated with China Tower and built 160,000 base stations and saved RMB11.5 billion of investment.
|Responsible performance indicator||2014||2015||2016|
|Co-building rate of indoor distribution system (%)||64.56||69.07||73|
|Co-sharing rate of indoor distribution system (%)||98.19||94.66||63|
|Pole line co-building rate (%)||71.46||67.76||85|
|Pole line co-sharing rate (%)||94.79||94.16||92|
|Pipeline co-building rate (%)||83.90||82.17||85|
|Pipeline co-sharing rate (%)||92.55||92.23||86|
Electromagnetic radiation management
The Company strengthens application of new technology, and adopts such advanced technical means such as Micro BS in densely populated cities as to optimise the layout of wireless network, making the electromagnetic radiation indicators of base stations being better than national standards. During the construction process of the base stations, the Company performed assessment on electromagnetic environmental impact, as well as testing on acceptance upon completion of the base stations, and conscientiously accepted supervision, administration and inspection of environmental protection departments, in accordance with the relevant national requirements of the Measures on the Management of Electromagnetic Radiation Environmental Protection.
By bringing new media platform into full play and actively publicise electromagnetic radiation knowledge, telecommunication knowledge has been popularised by continuously collaborate with governmental agencies and public-welfare organisations; Through collaboration with multi-parties and active communication, as well as introducing the public to learn the correct electromagnetic radiation influence of base stations, public doubts and misunderstanding are eliminated through on-site demonstration, field inspection and testing, and popularisation of base station equipment and telecommunication knowledge.
China Unicom Guangxi Branch strengthened the management of electromagnetic radiation, and minimised the impact of battery radiation in the following five aspects:
- Purchase equipment according to the frequency scope and rated power output as required in national regulations, and change to low radiation equipment when proper;
- Adopt advanced technical means to optimise layout of wireless network and make electromagnetic radiation indicators better than national standards;
- Avoid kindergartens and primary schools when selecting the site of base station, and communicate with nearby companies and residents to seek for understanding and support on a regular basis;
- Evaluate environmental impact of base station, disclose relevant reports in a timely manner and accept public supervision;
- Conduct activities to popularise knowledge of electromagnetic radiation, and offer professional explanation and carry out on-site inspection on radiation at base stations to eliminate public doubts;
In 2016, over 14,000 base stations passed the environmental impact assessment carried out by professional environmental administrations such as the Environmental Protection Bureau and the Radiation Environment Supervision and Management Station.