Green and Environmental-friendly Development
Green development is the cornerstone to build a “beautiful China”. China Unicom views environmental protection and green low-carbon initiatives as important step in our corporate development with an aim to build an environmental-friendly enterprise. In 2016, we continued our efforts to build green network, advance green operation, strengthen green management, implement energy conservation and emission reduction, and carry out green charitable campaigns to promote green philosophies, thus contributing to the coordinated development of economy, society and nature.
Measures adopted in 2016
- Designated RMB200 million for energy-saving and emission reduction, mainly used in energy-saving renovation and application of energy-saving technology; the coverage rate of energy-saving technology in the access network room and communication room reached 64% and 72%, respectively.
- Special projects including strengthening energy-saving management, promoting network downsizing and optical fibre reconstruction; carrying out publicity campaigns on energy-saving and emission reduction, to realise ceaseless reduction of energy consumption for unit information flow.
- Implemented green actions, built haze-detection network, launched “mobile phone trade-in” service, and pushed forward green transportation.
Actions in 2017
- Further strengthen energy-saving management, promote energy-saving technology, carry out publicity campaign of energy-saving, enhance cyclic utilisation of materials, deepen co-build and co-share with associated companies, and promote harmonious coexistence between the Company and the environment.
- Further deepen the integration of green concepts into operation and production, and extensively carry out green practices.
Upholding the philosophy of green “information life”, China Unicom endeavored to cut down on energy consumption in its operation, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and enhance sewage and waste emission management in an effort to minimise its impact on the environment. The Company strengthened management on energy conservation and emission reduction and infiltrated such practices into its various operations ranging from equipment procurement to engineering, equipment maintenance, marketing and administration. By setting up and improving the energy conservation and emission reduction management framework, including encompassing system and standards, statistic indicators, appraisal and incentives, energy-saving technology and organisational structure, it would ensure effective implementation of the standards for energy saving and emission reduction. In 2016, the Company designated about RMB200 million for energy-saving and emission reduction, mainly used in energy-saving renovation and application of energy-saving technology. The coverage rate of energy-saving technology in the access network room and communication room reached 64% and 72%, respectively. Through other special programmes such as network optimisation, fibre network upgrade, as well as carrying out publicity campaigns on energy-saving and emission reduction, the Company saved energy equivalent to 156,500 tonnes of standard coal during the year.
China Unicom Head Office Building realised reutilisation of reclaimed water, producing about 800m3 of reclaimed water every year. By water balance measurement, the Company met as a qualified water-saving company, recognised rainwater–sewage separation and obtained the License for the Discharge of Urban Sewage into the Drainage Network.